Maths at Coleshill Heath School
At Coleshill Heath Primary School, our maths curriculum is designed to provide children with the opportunity to expand upon and develop their mental maths skills, and prepare them for the wide variety of problem-solving opportunities that they will encounter in their lives.
Our Whole-School Maths Vision is:
- To foster positive attitudes, fascination and excitement of discovery through the teaching and learning of mathematical concepts.
- To develop a ‘can do’ attitude in our children, especially when problem solving and pattern sniffing.
- To broaden children’s knowledge and understanding of how mathematics is used in the wider world by making rich and varied real life connections.
- To enable our pupils to confidently reason about their mathematics, using a suitable range of mathematical language, recognising its importance for communication and deep thinking.
- To use a wide range of models, visual manipulatives and practical resources to develop a deep conceptual understanding alongside procedural fluency.
- To implement the current legal requirements of the Foundation Stage (EYFS) and the New National Curriculum.
As a school, we have sequenced our curriculum to build children's depth of understanding when teaching each mathematical skill. At the beginning of a Maths lesson, our children consolidate prior knowledge with 'retrieval practice'. This is to ensure prior knowledge is consistently drawn upon. Our curriculum supports children with ‘bridging the gap’ between abstract mathematical concepts and concrete representations that they can manipulate and draw up. In addition to this, teachers use the Maths No Problem Text Books and the White Rose Maths Hub Mastery documents to ensure that we have both breadth and depth across our maths curriculum.
Through our maths vision, we are passionate and fully committed to developing a balance between the children’s procedural fluency and a conceptual understanding.